Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Day for Women

I know it's little late nevertheless I thought I should post this. Last month we celebrated Women's Day in our office. When I reached office I found a gift on my table and it felt really good to open a present on Women's Day, and that precisely was the idea behind the gift to make women employees feel special. I wondered loud, there is still so much that needs to be done at a workplace for women, we all are hypocrites. Do we need a day dedicated to women? Every day should be Women's Day!

I put aside all those thoughts and started preparing for the day's work, later in the evening  we had Women's Day celebrations in the office, men were also invited but not many came forward to participate. I was all geared up and won two competitions. Then we had a talk on positive thinking by Sudha Krishnan, co-founder and COO of Dialogue in the Dark . Then some games were arranged, in which I could not participate as I had work to complete and my deadline was fast approaching.  While all this was happening I posted a simple question on a social networking site out of curiosity and I received some interesting comments.

The question was what do you think is the role of a women in our society? Following were some of the best comments from friends and acquaintances.


RB (male) said Women are the building blocks of a society...
Men can earn but Women RUN the society...
Hats Off to Women Power
 

NG (female) said I think one of the biggest favour women can do themselves and other women is to believe that they are NOT lesser than men. By believing so, and by asserting their equality they are encouraging their sons to treat their wives as equals, and encouraging their daughters to demand being treated as an equal...

MN (female) said Completely agree with NG...The role of women is showing society that they are confident and comfortable in doing what they can. A woman plays many roles in society and playing it to the best of their ability should be their mantra. This does not include proving to the world that they are “super women”. There are many women in our society who are stressed, simply because they are in a constant rat race proving to others that they are the best.. (mother/ wife/daughter/ DIL/@ career.. d list goes on)… “Women be yourselves” ... that is all what society expects …


SA (male) said Women are considered the best teachers because of their natural skills and they earn respect for their patience and resilience. 

NP (female) said I think this topic has been on for ages....and has never been successfully practised though all love to preach it...Seedhi baat...A women takes up so many roles and the most important and beautiful of it is a Mother's role. A Mother's role has so much influence on her family especially children...As they look up to her all the time...off course Father's too play a vital role but a mother's behaviour towards her children will be how the children's character will be shaped...so it's our duty to see to it that we bring up our children well...Well brought up children pave way for a well functioning society...Women & Men must coexist to bring in harmony and peace in the society...And Men it's time you treat your women Better!!!! A lot of Men nowadays do help a lot - be it household chores or bringing up children or supporting and encouraging their wives to take up employment....but there are many men who believe it's not "manly" for a man to behave or do such things...Shame on you!!!!....

2 comments:

  1. What is you take? Women's role was and is very important..she shapes the nation by shaping the children..but today its all going..they are more intrested in copying men and earning..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renu, sorry for the late reply. I totally agree with you on the part that women shape the nation by shaping the children.

    But I do not agree that it's all going away because they are more interested in copying men and earning. Out of the working women I know, 80% try to juggle household work with office work, with or without assistance from their families. Only 20% women ignore their families and those 20% would have done it even if they were not working.

    My mother is a homemaker, and my parents have always encouraged me to be independent both emotionally and financially. Both my parents have influenced me in equal measures but in different ways.

    I definitely like it when my salary gets credited in my account, but my work is not all about money, it's a small part of the larger picture. I work because it gives an identity, a sense of satisfaction and it helps me to broaden my horizons.

    If someday in future, I decide not to work officially and spend full time to raise my children, I would not despise that decision. Even at home, I would find means to express my identity. Family is important and every individual in a family should be allowed to find their real self without being coerced in to doing something just because it's a she.

    ReplyDelete

People who got mystified